[time-nuts] Z3805A cooling requirements?

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 26 17:24:53 UTC 2012

Tom, Magnus, Ulrich:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  They are appreciated and I now have an even better understanding of why ADEV measurements are not a good tool for characterizing the performance of oscillators that are subject to transient events or glitches.

Just to clarify a few points and ask a few questions:

My concern about not putting much emphasis on Adev data for Tau's of less than 80 seconds in the plots I’ve provided  is driven by a belief that at shorter Tau's these ADEV plots are largely showing the noise of the counter (an HP5370B) vs the noise of the device being measured. Perhaps the 80 second cut off point is overly conservative but at some point I believe the counter noise will swamp the noise from the devices being measured.

My goal was not to try and use ADEV measurements to characterize the performance of the GPSDO in question while it was subject to fluctuations in air flow (or subject to other transient events..)   I did include a frequency plot in my post that provides some insight as to what happened when air flow was added.

The goal was to see if operating the GPSDO in question with air flow changed the ADEV readings vs operating the GPSDO without air flow.  I agree ADEV may not be the best tool for this but it is easy to collect and I have prior data to compare the results to.    ADEV also seems to be a commonly used figure of merit for characterizing devices such as GPSDO’s.   (I realize there are also other commonly used figures of merit.)

The lowest ADEV reading I have ever observed for the GPSDO in question came from analyzing a data set collected 45 thru 65 minutes after air flow was applied to that GPSDO in that particular circumstance.   I found that result surprising although I agree the absolute difference in the ADEV figures is very small.

It's my understanding (based largely on comments I've read on this list over the years) that if you have roughly nx10 data points you can begin to draw inferences from ADEV plots for Taus  <n.   Is this a reasonable practice and or are there caveats one needs to be aware of ?

I agree that one test of this nature is in sufficient to draw any firm conclusions from and much more data is needed.

Regards
Mark Spencer