[time-nuts] New to Time Synching hardware - needing some advice

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:58:07 UTC 2012

> IIRC the FE5680 sell now for 200USD. Some heatsink and temperature control
> come maybe at 50-100USD. Some equipment to measure where the PPS lies
> relative to UTC and a powersupply that can get you 15V from mains and
> a battery (to get the Rb where the computer is) would also be necessary.

I suspect the cost of the Rb from eBay is "nothing" compared to the
equipment yu will need to verify proper operation of the finished
system.  You of course would need to do LOTS of detailed testing (many
test runs at different room temperatures) before you took the system
down into your coal mine, submarine or where ever.  You'd need a way
to compare your system to GPS and unless you have a year to test you
need a very sensitive test so you can detect drift in only a few
hours, not months.   Like I said your "test rig" will cost more than
the device under test.  This will be more and more the case the longer
your hold-over requirement.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California