[time-nuts] clock-block any need ?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Dec 28 17:23:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:21:26 -0800
Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> OK, so throw out the USB version..
>
> Just thinking out loud here: are these $20 wonders potentially a way to
> get "better" time transfer via Ethernet?

Depends on what your goal is.

> I can see that a PC interface version might not be very good (because of
> the need to build a low jitter driver for the PC for SPI or RS232).

How about a uC that has build in IEEE1588 support? Quite a few of
the Cortex-M3 class do that already (eg LM3S9xxx, STM32F*, K62*).
They can do that time stamping with "a couple" lines of code
and feed it to the PC some way or other.
You dont have to run full IEEE1588, just use the timestamping the
the ethernet MAC provides.

				Attila Kinali

--
There is no secret ingredient