[time-nuts] Fw: Rubidium Lamp PIX

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 30 01:05:08 UTC 2012

On 30/12/12 00:33, Joe Leikhim wrote:
> I wonder if a small laser like those salvaged from a CDR writer would be
> effective at evaporating the rb?

I doubt it. 250 mW laser compared to my (small) 300 W heat-gun? It took
some time to heat the rubidium up to achieve the effect. Too little
power, and most is lost in the cooling to the surrounding and heating is
very small.

If you focus you might get the effect at a small spot, but it will take
time an patience to achieve the full cleaning effect. A heat-gun is much
cruder, but does the job well enough and quick enough.

Cheers,
Magnus