[time-nuts] GPSDO compare FTS-4060

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 30 01:17:00 UTC 2012

On 30/12/12 02:08, Chris Howard wrote:

> Today I arrived home from a trip to Cleveland
> to pick up my FTS-4060 Cesium standard.
>
> About 45 minutes after power-up the lock
> light came on.
>
> This is unit S/N 1253.  I think the only
> option it has is the 1 MHz/100 kHz output.
>
> I connected both my GPSDO and this thing to
> my O-scope and can see that the GPSDO is
> slightly faster.   With the scope triggering
> on the 4060, it takes right at 8 minutes
> for the GPSDO to advance by one full cycle.
>
> Reading on list archives, it seems to me that
> the 4060 needs to be tweaked to match the GPSDO.
>
> I have printed out the manual for the 4060 and
> I will read about that and see what I can figure out.
>
> I also think I will measure the one-cycle-advance
> time period over the course of the next few days
> and see if it changes much.

I would recommend to use a TIC and TimeLab to assist you on that task.

It is recommended to look at the phase plot (P), frequency plot (F) and
modified Allan deviation plot (M) every once in a while.

A benefit is naturally that you can share the measurements in a suitable
form for others to toy with and provide comments to you.

Cheers,
Magnus