Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Dec 31 03:14:16 UTC 2012

Hi

…. sorry for the previous blank message….

A lot depends on what kind of inductors they are. If it's a static field, then you have to saturate the core. That's pretty hard unless the core is ferrite. Most powdered iron and (of course) air are fairly immune to static field.

If it's an AC field, then the frequency of the field and the location of the coil in the circuit matter a lot. In a typical OCXO, the coils are essentially part of a tuned tank of some sort. They are pretty good at rejecting off frequency signals. A field at a high enough frequency to be "inside" the tank will have a tough time with the case of a sealed OCXO.

Even with a static field, if the case is steel, it will create a magnetic path around the OCXO innards. What you see on the outside probably will not be what you see on the inside.

If you are talking about the field from a 600 to 1200 rpm fan (the question that started this) the field could be as low as 10 to 20 Hz. Even if it's a bit above that (say 160 to 320 Hz) it's still a lot closer to a static field than the AC case.

Can you find an OCXO that's susceptible to a field - sure you can. Can you buy them rated to have spurs below -180 dbc with a field of so many gauss at frequencies from 1 to 100,000 Hz - sure you can. It all depends on the design.

Bob