[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 1 09:23:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:27:45 -0800
Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>

> > My current progress is that the uC i wanted to use does not
> > do what i want. Can anyone recommend a uC with 32bit timers
> > and IEEE 1588 support?
>
> Does the system need to be small?  If not Generic PC hardware can
> work.  Buy an Intel "Atom" main board.  For under $85 you get a
> soldered down CPU and all the normal PC stuff, PCI bus and all.  The
> board I bought does not have a CPU fan and burns all of about 5 watts.
>   Or you can re-cycle and old notebook computer.  If you run Linux
> then yes it supports  IEEE 1588.  There are real-time versions of
> linux that give you easy access to low level hardware much like with a
> uP.

No, the system doesn't have to be small, but i'd like to have ultimate
control over every part of it. Which is kind of hard if you are running
an PC with some OS on it. Yes, i could programm the PC using the same
tools as i use for a uC, but then i'd simply waste a lot of time doing
work that others have done already... not to mention a lot of computing
power.

Beside... a uC system is easier to tinker with than a PC :)
And my main goal is to have a system to experiment with.
That requirement will probably make it more expensive than a Atom Mainboard,
but it will be much more fun and a lot more to learn :)

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin