[time-nuts] export controls and reverse engineering

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 16:10:47 UTC 2012

"Do you believe there may be a problem for those who are
reverse-engineering, and posting on the open net, items which may be
covered under these regulations?

If you do, you may want to consider contacting them off-list and letting
them know your concern.

Peter

"

Man, export controls are a complex, confusing, and not at all tidy and
rule-driven so that mere engineers can figure out what is covered and
what isn't.  It is left up to diplomats and folks at departments of
Commerce and State (in the US, anyway) to figure out using whatever
means they have at their disposal.  (When I started getting into the
whole export control and negotiating licenses thing at work, the first
thing they told me was that as an engineer, I'd find it horribly
frustrating, because it doesn't necessarily make sense)

In general, I would think that reverse engineering something bought
surplus would NOT be subject to export controls.  Obviously, if a
spacecraft or spare nuclear weapon fell in your backyard and you
commenced reversing it, that would probably raise some issues.

A lot revolves around whether the thing you are fooling with is
considered a "defense article" or "munition", for which you need to go
to the lists.  Spaceflight qualified atomic clocks are definitely on
that list, but these are not them.  FEI does, however, produce things
that are export controlled, so they may take the easy way and treat
everything as controlled unless there's a reason not to: hence the
boiler plate on invoices from parts distributors when you order BNC
jacks warning you about export controls.

The US Munitions List (USML) does have a whole section on atomic
frequency standards, and you want to take a look at the performances
listed there and see if you're in the ballpark (I suspect not).  They
would be interested in particularly small, low power, or rugged sources.

Be aware that ITAR is only half of export control.  Department of
Commerce also has the EAR.  There you want to look at "dual-use"
technologies.