[time-nuts] How best to exchange Large files?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:19:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM, ehydra <ehydra at arcor.de> wrote:
> I think most users have ADSL, where the problem is the low upload bandwidth.
> If the connection drops, the whole file is lost.
>
> The download is much faster and so there is a good change to save the whole
> file.
> If not:
> If the web-browser and the file-owning server understand reconect, one can
> retry the download and then the old file merges with the new part without
> further effort.
>
> So I wonder if FTP does it the same way? Any experience?

Yes, you can restart disconnected FTP transfers but some software is
not very good.

> My problem is that I want to send a big file to another person, but my
> internet upload bandwidth is way to small.

Something like Dropbox allows you to place the file on a system that
has very good bandwidth.   However you still have to upload the file
once.

> As I learned from the thread a torrent-app is not enough.

Someone needs to also run a tracker.  THat is not hard to do and the
tracker software is free.   Then you can give a group of people your
file by publishing a short .torrent file.     This is the best way to
send a file to a large group.   But for one person it is no fasterthan
FTP or HTTP.

There is no way around the fact that if the file is on your computer
and you want to send it to one or more other people you will have to
move it off your computer at least once.

FTP has the advantage to YOU don't have to wait.   You make the other
guy wait.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California