[time-nuts] How best to exchange Large files?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:59:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Robert Darlington
<rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gotcha.   Try using something like WinRAR to chunk up your file into
> multiple parts or the UNIX "split" command.   In the very least that's
> a way to get it to somebody that can reassemble it for distribution on
> a web server.

That works but it is 100% manual.  Today we have software that will
break up files, send the bits and reassemble them and will even let
you shut off one of both computers and automatically restart.
Torrent is the best known of these.    It will just carry one in the
background and if more people want the file it will take advantage of
the added bandwidth.   With magnetic links you can send someone an
email and say "click here for the file" and it will "just work".   No
one has to slip or reassemble the file.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California