[time-nuts] Rubidium Frequency Standard FE-5680A

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:38:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Ken Kubick <kenkubick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just baught two FE-5680A Rubidium Frequency Standards.  Both units seem to work just fine.  The units I recieved are mounted to a PCB.  They both run real hot around 58 Deg. C.  Should I put them on heatsinks?  or is this normal?  The data sheet says the temperature range is -5 to +50 deg. C.  I don't want to put a heatsink on them if there is a heater inside that trys to keep them hot at 58 deg. C.

If it has a Rubidium physics package inside then there is a heater
that tries to keep it just over 100C.   The gas cell has to be hot to
work.   If you use a heat sink, yes the heater has to work but if you
cool if the electronic the unit will last longer.     That circuit
board  served as the heat sink but there was a fan.  My FE5680 is
screwed to a heat sink and inside an enclosure that used to hold disk
drives. there is a temperature control fan and I hope this will
stabilize the temperature inside the box, still have to tube this.
I'm using a heat sink so that I can use a smaller fan.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California