[time-nuts] CCD lock detection (was: DIY Physics Article)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 22 19:33:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:57:01 -0800
Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the next generation of Rb physics packages will use a laser as
> the light source and have the laser, Rb cell and detector all in one
> glass envelope.  I've seen one like this that is just tiny.  But as I
> recall there was a problem using a laser, something about noise

That's called coherent population trapping and is used by the
chip scale atomic clock (CSAC) from symetricon (although they use
it with caesium instead of rubidium).

You can find in [1] a quite good and easy to understand explanation of
the physics of an Rb based clock. It also contains an overview of what
is currently known to be possible and where some of the problems are

			Attila Kinali

[1] http://www.pi5.uni-stuttgart.de/common/show_file.php/lectures/100/blaetter/The%20Rubidium%20Clock%20and%20Basic%20Research.pdf
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?