[time-nuts] Neutrinos not so fast? (defectove connector)

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Thu Feb 23 11:21:14 UTC 2012

I have found the official CERN director's words: (from Marco URLs)
Ecco l’annuncio del Direttore del CERN:
The OPERA collaboration has informed its funding agencies and host
laboratories that it has identified two possible effects that could have an
influence on its neutrino timing measurement. These both require further
tests with a short pulsed beam. If confirmed, one would increase the size
of the measured effect, the other would diminish it. The first possible
effect concerns an oscillator used to provide the time stamps for GPS
synchronizations. It could have led to an overestimate of the neutrino’s
time of flight. The second concerns the optical fibre connector that brings
the external GPS signal to the OPERA master clock, which may not have been
functioning correctly when the measurements were taken. If this is the
case, it could have led to an underestimate of the time of flight of the
neutrinos. The potential extent of these two effects is being studied by
the OPERA collaboration. New measurements with short pulsed beams are
scheduled for May”.