[time-nuts] Schematic capture, anyone?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 07:49:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz
<charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com> wrote:
> I've been using LTspice for schematic capture and simulation at home.  Will
> the PCB CAD tools being discussed (Eagle, DesignSpark, FreePCB, etc.) import
> netlists from LTspice?  Or do folks prefer to do the schematic capture in a
> CAD tool and export that netlist to LTspice for simulation?

LT Spice is basically just the normal Spice simulator with a schematic
capture program acting as a front end.    LTspice can export standard
Spice net lists and can save to it's own file format too.  The spice
net lists don't have any graphical information and don't have
footprints.

I find I don't  need to move data from a simulation to a design
program because to rarely simulate exactly the target circuit.  You
usually have to Spice specific stuff components like signal generators
or maybe some parasitic capacitance for realism.  These parts only
exist in a simulation not on the PCB.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California