[time-nuts] 5061's on ebay - FIXED IT

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:59:02 UTC 2012

Good to hear that you recovered the 5061. A couple of comments.
Ground screws do indeed oxidize and it can be a very good fix for older
gear to simply loosen and re-tighten those screws or to replace pop riveted
terminal lugs with real screws and lock washers.

My experience with modern nicads are they are real crud.I spent $45 for a
new set from a major supplier and they lasted a year before starting down
the failed path. I believe that any nicads on the shelf are getting pretty
old these days. Other amazing thing is I have tested those 30 year old
nicads and amazingly they really do hold up very well.  So someplace along
the line the manufacturers figured out how to make them a
re-occurring revenue stream.
Granted today there are alternates to those evil nicads. So perhaps they
have a respectable life.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM, J. L. Trantham <jltran at att.net> wrote:

> Not being able to suppress my interests for too long, I explored my newly
> acquired 5061A this weekend.
> The problem was an oscillation in the A7 assembly, as determined by looking
> at the output at A7J6.
> I am not sure what I did to fix it but I removed all connections to the A7
> and A8 assemblies, reconnected them, and no joy.
> I then removed the A7 assembly, checked the components that have frequently
> failed in the past on my other 5061A's, found no problems, loosened all the
> mounting screws for the PCB then re-tightened them, cleaned all the
> connections, reinstalled it, switched the 'HI' and 'LO' switch back and
> forth half a zillion times, left it in 'HI', adjusted the 2nd Harmonic to
> '40' on the meter, and, magically, everything worked.
> I suspect the problem will be back.  I suspect a 'marginal' connection or a
> marginal component in the A7 assembly.  I have some 'parts units' available
> for the next time the unit fails.
> Nonetheless, it has 'locked' for the past hour with a Beam I of about 13
> nAmp, if my calculation is correct (-131.50 mV from the CS tube as
> connected
> to the cable from the tube to A7J1 and as measured with my Fluke 8050A with
> a 10 MOhm input resistance), and the output is 'locked' on my scope with
> it's trigger coming from my TBolt.
> I have ordered new batteries for the Option 02 battery pack although it
> even
> worked with only one 'dead' cell.  I replaced the 'dead' cell with one that
> 'kinda works' from another old battery pack, and now even the backup
> battery
> pack is working, 'kinda'.
> Happy to answer any questions.
> Joe
> -----Original Message-----
> From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
> Behalf Of J. L. Trantham
> Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:25 PM
> To: 'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 5061's on ebay
> I'll do it.
> I work full time and this is my hobby.  So, it may be a while before I get
> into it though.
> Joe
> -----Original Message-----
> From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
> Behalf Of paul swed
> Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:22 PM
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 5061's on ebay
> Interested
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to
> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.

More information about the time-nuts mailing list