[time-nuts] Power Supply Noise Affects Thunderbolt 1 PPS

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Tue Feb 28 01:49:25 UTC 2012

Digging through the literature online, I see the high voltage LDOs are
still PNP, at least for the manufacturers that show representative
circuits. I was pretty such of this when you did your post, mostly
because I couldn't see how you would drive the NPN and maintain a low
dropout. [You would need circuitry to drive the base that would have to
function a VBE above dropout.] If low droput wasn't required, then by
all means, I'd design with a NPN pass device to avoid the saturation
killer circuit.

Some random TI parts:
> http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm9076.pdf
About 30 to 40db rejection at switcher frequencies.

> http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2931-n.pdf
About 55 to 70dB rejection at switcher frequencies.

Note the rejection graphs are a bit misleading since they are measured
with sine inputs, while the switcher noise has plenty of harmonics.

When I build a project for myself, I always use the P-fet based LDOs.
Usually TI designs, though I never worked for them, so I have no inside
knowledge of their design. They test fine. I just know it is
substantially easier to design a LDO with a P-fet in terms of stability,
simply because there is one feedback path, and MOS modeling is better
than bipolar.

Some of the worst LDOs I've come across are from Micrel. I can't imagine
how that company stays in business. [Look at their financials and the
market agrees with me.] TI, LTC, Maxim, generally good stuff, though you
can usually find a stinker device if you look hard enough. Something
like a LDO is usually a solo project so it depends a lot on the designer.

Surprisingly, the wiki is pretty decent for LDOs, paying homage to Bob
Dobkin.