[time-nuts] VK4GHZ Thunderbolt Monitor and Commander

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Feb 28 13:51:50 UTC 2012

The "authorized" development platform is windows only.  It will
run under wine.  There is a linux/opensource platform in the
works based on mono.  It is in pre alpha release.

In the opensource, linux world, mono is seen as an abomination
by many.  Although mono has made it through the international
standards groups, Microsoft holds several patents on key parts
of the system that would allow them to yank the rug out from under
anyone they wanted to at will.   They refuse to release the
patents into the public domain, instead insisting that they would
never sue anyone for using them... all the while holding them
all the same.

I wouldn't touch mono, or a netduino with a ten foot pole!  Use
the arduino, it too has shields that put it on the ethernet.

-Chuck Harris