[time-nuts] US New Year countdown - accurate?

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Mon Jan 2 05:37:50 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 09:14:03PM -0800, J. Forster wrote:
> I was referencing anything to an external, local reference. My comment was
> the time difference between the FOX on screen timing and the ball dropping
> fireworks. Presumably, the on-screen timing was inserted at their local
> control center in NYC, not after satellite hops.

	Fox was producing and uplinking that in NYC, though I suspect
the primary link back to their master control was fiber through the NYC
media switch with very low delay.    I was not watching the Fox show
(don't watch much Fox) but I rather suspect the production trailer was
where the screen overlay got added to the video.

	Doubtless nobody bothered to get the time on the graphics
inserter system  set to match the real time and camera video... most of the
time nobody cares or notices.   Quite possibly it has manually set time
of day from a web page or front panel rather than even house time codes, which
themselves may not be GPS synced.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in