[time-nuts] US New Year countdown - accurate?

Iain iain at g7iii.net
Mon Jan 2 17:14:07 UTC 2012

On 02/01/12 08:14, David J Taylor wrote:

> Another example: Watching Formula 1 races (where the timing at the
> circuit is usually pretty accurate judging by the events I've attended)
> over terrestrial TV here in the UK usually results in an offset of 5-7
> seconds. The radio feed is usually much less delayed. Yes, there are
> satellite links, but also the digital TV compression and multiplexing
> etc. accounts for a significant delay.

Part of that is the fact that it's beamed back to Bernie's Bunker at
Silverstone, before being fed on to the broadcasters, and then onto
the actual transmitting company so you have that extra delay to add in
as well.

Indeed, it's fun watching with the timing and scoring app on the laptop,
with the commentators wondering (or thinking) such and such a driver is
going to get pole or improve his time, and I already know he hasn't!

Iain