[time-nuts] phase lock

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Wed Jan 4 20:40:35 UTC 2012

I have  a Racal-Dana 1992 Nanosecond Universal Counter that includes
a phase measuring function.  I also have a GPIB interface and wrote some
C code to log these readings which can be displayed with gnuplot.

The phase should be measured for a very long time - days perhaps.  The
ability
to record the phase over that period is useful because the Thunderbolt will
have considerable (compared to the Rb) short term variance.

You could use a scope.  If the X and Y channels can hack 10 MHz you can do a
Lissajous pattern.  Otherwise display one and trigger on the other.

The frequency should be within a fraction of one Hz before worrying
about the phase.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469Rcaf at omen.com    www.omen.com