[time-nuts] FE-5680A arrived

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Thu Jan 12 01:03:11 UTC 2012

Bob Smither wrote:

<snip>

> I have noticed the the 1pps pulse goes away when I make a large change to the
> offset count through the RS232 connection.  The pulse comes back after the unit
> has settled for a while.

More observations.  My unit is S/N 0316 61953, UN 63983.  If I try to change the
offset count (using RS232) by more than about 131,000 counts (0x20000) at a time
it sometimes loses the 1PPS and the lock signal goes high.

By bringing the offset count up slowly (increments of 0x10000) I recorded the
following drift rates versus offset count:

0 usec / sec at 0
1 usec / sec at 1441792 (0x160000)
2 usec / sec at 2949120 (0x2D0000)
3 usec / sec at 4390912 (0x430000)
4 usec / sec at 5898240 (0x5A0000)

The offset count was incremented in units of 0x10000 (65,536) counts so the
drifts are approximate.

A plot of these results is here:

  http://c-c-i.com/node/161

My unit appears to have an adjustment resolution of about 6.8E-13 / count -
close to what has been reported here before.