[time-nuts] Lady Heather for a noob

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:47:05 UTC 2012

For normal use all you need to do is apply power.  You don't need to
connect a computer at all.  The t-bolt will figure out it's location
and be up and running in maybe an hour.

LH is for the "next step" where you care about fine running.  Now it's
maybe better to just let it run

Sounds like you might have a marginal antenna.  It really does need a
good view of the sky and the self survey is not useful if the antenna
can move, so at least duct tape it down.  A mast is better.

Have to read the "Thunderbolt book"
http://www.trimble.com/support_trl.asp?pt=Thunderbolt®%20GPS%20Disciplined%20Clock&Nav=Collection-2357
the monitor program at the above link is less complex and a good way
to get started.

Now,  to hijack this thread.   Do people think a "server" version of
LH that does NOT need Windows would be usefull.  Sames a water to have
to find a Windows PC just for this one task.   The server could run on
a very low-power computer and push data onto the network.   For
example I have the t-bolt running an NTP server and I'd like to run
the LH server on the same computer

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Peter Gottlieb <nerd at verizon.net> wrote:
> Alright, I took the plunge and got a Thunderbolt and installed Lady Heather
> 3.00.
>
> So, it first didn't seem to want to grab satellites, probably because it had
> a position set in it of 23.1019557 113.2662616 which looks to be a tall
> building in China.  I used Google Earth to get a lat/long which was as
> accurate as I could make it and put those in.  That gained me 4 good and 4
> marginal satellites and phase lock.
>
> What should I do next?  Should I have it do its own survey?  Do I need to
> change any settings from default?  Do those readings, or some others, tell
> me when I'm fully up and synchronized?  Is there a faq on how to do this
> that someone could point me to?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
> Peter

Chris Albertson