[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 20:41:36 UTC 2012

wrong there is no DAC involved, it is a DDS

In a message dated 1/13/2012 3:36:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com writes:

Bert  wrote:

>we would be talking +- one step and using different rate but  reading the
>frequency over 1000 seconds would be my  answer.

Rather than dithering the existing 7e-13 steps, perhaps it  would be
simpler to adjust the 5680A step size?  Presumably, the  C-field is
being controlled by the current or voltage output of a DAC, and  the
7e-13 steps represent the LSB of the DAC.  From the reports so  far on
the list, the DAC output range is much larger than necessary (I  think
someone said ~ +/- 2 Hz ??).  If you attenuate the DAC output  by 10x
in the analog domain, you would have a +/- 0.2 Hz range with 7e-14
steps (or, if you like, attenuate by 7 for 1e-13 steps, or by 14 for
5e-14 steps).  You would have to be a little careful about the tempco
of the implementation (particularly, you may need to add some
low-tempco bias to get the range centered on 10.000000000 MHz again),
but I wouldn't think it would be so critical as to be beyond the
ability of the home time nut.

Best  regards,

Charles