[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Fri Jan 13 22:29:37 UTC 2012

On 1/13/2012 4:30 PM, Don Latham wrote:
> Oh, I hate to be a pedant, but are we talking about dithering, that is
> random perturbations to remove things like hysteresis, or using the
> finite steps as a bang-bang servo?

Not random, but a PWM like control to get better precision from a given
granularity. If a device only has whole number steps (1,2,3...), and you
want something in between, then you dither it. If you want 1.6, have it
spend 40% of its time at 1, and 60% at 2. Nothing random about it.

What's "bang-bang servo?" (other than a techno band -
http://www.myspace.com/bangbangservo )