[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Thomas S. Knutsen la3pna at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:03:34 UTC 2012

GPIB is not realy slow by todays standars. It's still capable of
transfering more data pr sec than USB 1, there is some notes about it at
NI.
The Prologix box consist of an an microcontroller and an USB chip or such,
but the programming involved in order to get it all working is extencive if
you want to support some of the early instruents.

I use the Prologix USB box often. It appears as an serial port, and is easy
to use. As fair as I understand, the GPIB-LAN device you just telnet into.

BR.
Thomas.

2012/1/13 Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>

> $150 is $130 more than $20.   It depends on if an ISA type computer
> shows up for free.  I'm having doubts that one will.  They seem to
> have become valuable.  The machine would need to be at least a Pentium
> II so it could boot off the network and then mount some disk space.  I
> know what you mean about maintenance so i don't want any disk inside
> and no OS installed.
>
> I'm surprised that no one has built a GPIB controller from a uP.
> Electrically the GPIB is simple and slow by modern standards.
>
> Thanks, I just looked up the Prologix
>

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> >> and send the data out the GPIB but getting that into a computer is the
> hard
> >> part.
> >
> >> OK so I check on eBay.   Most are $300 but If you can find a computer
> with
> >> an old ISA slot then there are working GBIB cards for about $20.
> >
> > Many of us are happy with the Prologix.  The USB version is $150.  That's
> > more than I really want to spend but less than $300 and you don't have to
> > maintain an old PC.
> >
> > The USB version uses one of the popular USB-RS232 chips so there is no
> > problem with drivers.  I haven't tried the Ethernet version.
> >
> > http://prologix.biz/
> > http://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=GPIB&what=products
> >

> > --
> > These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate spam.

> > and follow the instructions there.
>

> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

 Please  avoid sending  me  Word  or  PowerPoint  attachments.
 See  <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>