[time-nuts] Adding adjustment pot to 5680

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 19:14:11 UTC 2012

Arthur,
Nice pixs well lit with good detail. If only I had spent some time digging
around that would have been much easier to solder to. May change it the
next time I am in the unit.
I do agree that the reg was running pretty hard but you attached it to at
least a 115 degree heat sink. (At least in open air with real attached heat
sinks)
I am unsure as to what I will do. Clearly I have the 7805 on an external
heatsink. Nice and cool. I ran the wires through the pot hole to a cheap
bournes 10K 10 turn pot.
Since my plan is not for portable operation but a rack mounted device I
will use a very stable external regulator and at 3.3 or 5 V then a very
good 10 turn .1% linear 10K with numeric readout counter. Flea market
special.

Sort of scratch my head. I like the larger external heatsinks I was using
and the fact that they kept that center rail at 115 degrees should extend
the life of the electronics even though the RB ref tube is the real life
limit.

I think the only comment I have read is that someone added a heatsink for
thermal mass stability. Lots of pondering on my part.
Last check Ref at 8.26 E-12. I am noticing 500 ps semi regular phase jumps.
Fact is it could be my other even older lucent RB. Time to get serious with
the HP 5065 and the z3801. Who is fibbing to me??

Regards
Paul