[time-nuts] Controlling FEI 5680A

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Jan 16 14:56:26 UTC 2012

Hi

The lock range of the 5680 is limited only by the range of the VCXO. The DDS has way more range than the VCXO does and there's nothing else in that loop. The rubidium cell does not change frequency when the DDS is tuned, so that entire loop is not a limiting factor. As you approach the edge of lock things will get a bit funny, that's true of any PLL.

Based on the VCXO pictures, it's not a very fancy part. After five or more years in the field, some of them are reported to not lock at 10 MHz. Tuning one off frequency will be a try it and see sort of thing. When they left the factory they probably tuned at least +/- 3 ppm around 10 MHz and possibly ten times that. The VCXO likely has a temperature drift in the 100 to 1000 ppb range. The loop must take care of that to operate at all.

Temperature performance per the data sheet is in the 0.1 ppb range, aging 0.01 ppb / mo (also from the data sheet). We have at least one example with a lot better aging than the data sheet would suggest.

The only real question is weather the minimum tune range is greater than the aging for a couple years plus the variation due to temperature and other enviromental effects. The total of all of them is likely under 1 ppb and certainly under 5 ppb. The VCXO certainly will tune that far. Put another way, the tuning to put it on frequency is much smaller than the temperature drift of the VCXO. The loop is working much harder to stabilize the VCXO than it is to handle the tuning word.

Bob