[time-nuts] NTP for 64 bit windows

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 11:20:15 UTC 2012

> Windows has long had its own built-in NTP client. All you have to do
> is use that. You can change the parameters as needed (I always point
> the built-in client to my local NTP server and set the update
> frequency to once every few minutes, given the poor accuracy of PC
> clocks).
>
> --
> Anthony

Anthony,

The built-in client does not support NTP fully - for example, reference
clocks and the management functions.  Tell me how accurate it is, for
example.  It doesn't respond to a standard:

  ntpq -p

command - you need real NTP for that.  My advice is to forget the
Microsoft built-in client.  Running updates more frequently than is
necessary is not particularly server friendly.  Properly configured, read
NTP can be within milliseconds on Windows, and within a couple of hundred
microseconds if you have a PPS source.  Using interpolation, you can get
far more precision out of a PC clock:

  http://www.lochan.org/2005/keith-cl/useful/win32time.html

Cheers,
David