[time-nuts] 15 Seconds error...??

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue Jan 17 13:06:01 UTC 2012

On 1/17/2012 7:14 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:57:22 -0500
> Mike S<mikes at flatsurface.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/2012 2:04 AM, gary wrote:
>>> My description of the problem would have been a thousand times better if
>>> I mentioned monotonicity.
>>
>> UTC is monotonic. The problem is with people who assume that minutes
>> always have 60 seconds. In UTC, they don't - they can have 59, 60, or 61
>> seconds.
>
> Not 100% true. It depends on the representation of UTC

You're 100% wrong. You argue as if there are options in how to represent
UTC. There aren't. That's made clear by ITU-R TF.460-6, which defines
UTC: "A positive leap-second begins at 23h 59m 60s and ends at 0h 0m 0s
of the first day of the following month. In the case of a negative
leap-second, 23h 59m 58s will be followed one second later by 0h 0m 0s
of the first day of the following month."

http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/tf/R-REC-TF.460-6-200202-I!!PDF-E.pdf