[time-nuts] 15 volt power supply for FE-5680A on eBay

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:25:58 UTC 2012

I used a variable voltage bench supply to experiment.  tried low
voltage like you are seeing on my FE5680 and I never got a lock.   The
FE5680A spec sheet says 15 to 18 volts and I think you can get buy
with 14.5V.  i tried 12.5 and got "nothing"

I did not test to find the "breaking point"  But 1/2 volt low was OK
and 2.5V low was not ok.

What I bought is a 15V open frame supply from allelectronics.com for
$11.50.  It turned out to be a very high quality power supply (Digikey
has the same unit for almost $40)   This PS does not drop volts even
with the line input and load  well out of spec (I tested 63VAC input
to a 4A load briefly)  I added an RF "hash" filter "just because I
could"  and then an LM7805 and I think I'm OK.

I thought about making a linear supply for the cleanest power but i
intend to run this 24x7 and don't like wasting so much power.

This is the one I bought
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-152/15VDC-2.7A-POWER-SUPPLY/1.html

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Paul F. Sehorne <paul at sehorne.org> wrote:
> How important is the 15vdc at the initial startup 2amp, and then how
> important at the .7 amp settled rate?
>
> I just received two of these
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280439877318
>
> Unloaded voltage is ~15.5vdc.  At 700 ma voltage drops to 14.3 volts and
> with 2 amp load drops to 13.3 volts with a 2 amp load (and to 10 volts with
> a 5 amp load).  Supposedly rated at 6 amps.  I have only checked one, have
> not broken the packaging on the second one assuming its performance will be
> similar.
>
> Will this be a problem?
>
> Paul

Chris Albertson