[time-nuts] Intro & Q: Racal-Dana 1991 or 1992 Counter ?

cfo xnews2 at luna.kyed.com
Thu Jan 19 20:58:25 UTC 2012

Hello Nuts

I'm a Danish radio ham , and have recently picked up electronics again.
I'm programming AVR & ARM controllers , and doing some basic electronics
stuff. I am rusty in analog electronics , and even have to lookup how to
calculate a base resistor on a bjt.

I have recently been bitten by the "time-bug" (last summer).

All i wanted was to check/adjust the TCXO on my Phillips PM-6674 freq.
counter.

So i got one of the adjustable ?-20Mhz FEI-5080A from fluke.l
But was the RB correct ?

So i got a TBolt , has some troubles getting GPS view from my apartment.
Mounted the TB in my summerhouse, and the TB is running nice there.
Checked the RB using a Rigol-100Mhz scope & TB as ext-sync, it seems to
be spot-on.

But i had to bring the RB back to my apartment. and read the RB could
change just by flipping it upside down. What would happen during
transport home ?? (The bug hits again)

Hmmmm...
Bought 2 more of the "Cheap" FEI-5080A (15v+5v vers), for apartment &
summerhouse.

Added a few Jupiter-T GPS receivers ... Just in case ...

Had a China freq Cntr. in the summerhouse (has int-freq out on bnc , but
no ext-freq in).
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LW-TFC-2700L-Frequency-Counter-10hz-
to-2700Mhz-/330567274193

But the 10Mhz was "dancing" , when measuring the TB.
Taking it apart revealed a "tin box" on the back with a 13Mhz xtal & a BJT
for heating. And an ATmega8515 as MCU.

Hmmm ... Didn't i see some 26Mhz goodies mentioned on the list ?
Yupp..
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pletronics-26MHz-OCXO-Miniature-Oscillator-
NEW-/140398082881

Built a separate (LDO) psu for the OCXO , stole some power from the
counter-trafo , added an ACT74 for 13Mhz.
And now the display shows 10.000003 mostly , can show 0..3.

I hope to get 10.0000000But i still need to add a fine adjust pot to the
OCXO , only had a 10K single turn). Nice OCXO for the price , and very
fast to get stable.

Saw the X72 on eb.. , and read that it was GPSDO'able.
Had to get one , and then i discovered the GPSDO feature was in fw 5.x ,
mine had fw 4.x. Well nice little RB.

Needed a backup for my PM-6674 , maybe with some more digits & GPIB ....
Got a HP-5384A (Only GBIB option so just "plain" xtal) , calibrated it
against the TB in summerhouse , and brought it back home. Nice little
counter.

But i still need to adjust/verify my PM-6674.
And what about the HP it "only" has an Xtal.

Hmmm....
I do still need a Tbolt in the apartment , toyed around with a Jupiter-T
and got GPS lock outside bedroom window 30 cm from the wall. Making
antenna fixture to be mounted on wall.

Saw TBolt price rise on eb.. , had to get one now ...
And a spare.... (bug bites again).

Today : Got TBolts
But we're getting a new roof on the appartments , so the whone building
is surrounded in scaffold. Taking the GPS view .....

So i'm still waiting to calibrate my PM-6674 :-)

And now back to the Racal-Dana 1991 or 1992 Counter question.
I might need a TIC , and the HP5070 + shipping is to much.
So i was wondering about one of the above mentioned Racal's.

I have a nice offer on a 1991 , but can get a 1992 also ?
Witch one would you recommend for general "Nut usage".

73 de OZ1FTG
CFO

Ps: I suppose the above sounds familiar.
    Has anyone found a cure the yet