[time-nuts] finding time astronomically.

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Jan 23 21:18:34 UTC 2012

El 23/01/2012 21:43, Jim Lux escribió:

> One is where you "lay the iphone on the table" in a fixed position.
> One could use the internal accelerometers to determine "level", but I
> don't think you could tell orientation, unless, perhaps, you can see
> circumpolar stars?  That is, by watching the movement of the
> stars/planets through the field of view over some hours, could you
> figure it out?  Or is there some fundamental ambiguity.

I don't know about the iPhone, but I've seen an HTC with a funny
application that, when you point anywhere in the sky, it shows you the
constellations that are there. Even if you point it to ground, it shows
you the constellations in the other hemisphere :) I don't remember if
the application is this http://www.google.com/mobile/skymap/ or
something similar, but in any case, the phone knows its orientation
quite good (well... also depends on the phone to have the right time, of
course... :) )

Regards,

Javier