[time-nuts] telling time without a clock

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 23:14:03 UTC 2012

Surely the proximity of the Moon to the surface of the Earth
makes the timing of an occultation dependent on where you are on the
Earth's surface. (Parallax error)
The calculations to correct for this must make it a mathematicians
picnic.
Nevil Maskelyne, tormentor of John Harrison, advocated "lunar
distances" but it was not practical,
as is demonstrated by it never being used.

Telling the time on the Earth's surface was commonly done with a sun
dial, and these can be refined to a fraction
of a minute. With about 30 years of observations this should be able
to discipline an atomic clock to a second or better,
and reach the limit of stability of the atomic clock.

cheers, Neville Michie