[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:27:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> My current progress is that the uC i wanted to use does not
> do what i want. Can anyone recommend a uC with 32bit timers
> and IEEE 1588 support?

Does the system need to be small?  If not Generic PC hardware can
work.  Buy an Intel "Atom" main board.  For under $85 you get a
soldered down CPU and all the normal PC stuff, PCI bus and all.  The
board I bought does not have a CPU fan and burns all of about 5 watts.
  Or you can re-cycle and old notebook computer.  If you run Linux
then yes it supports  IEEE 1588.  There are real-time versions of
linux that give you easy access to low level hardware much like with a
uP.

If you were going to mass produce these you could cut costs but for a
one-off using a $100 PC is reasonable.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California