[time-nuts] HP-5065a advise and purchase decision

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 19:12:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Edgardo Molina <xe1xus at amsat.org> wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> One of my needs: A dependable Rb source. HP appeals to me as most of my
> electronics lab equipment comes from that house. I have seen numerous other
> Rb sources here and there but would like to afford an HP unit. I know I can
> go to the party driving either a 60's VW beattle or driving a 60's Ford
> Mustang. Both of them can get me there. Still personally, I rather drive
> the V8 beast. The robustness, mechanics, physics package characteristics
> and form factor, homogeneous with my HP quartz frequency standards and
> frequency counters is what catches my eye when looking at that model. Let's
> say 50% looks and desire and 50% for what it is. It will be used in my time
> and frequency lab. Hobby use, a learning tool, an object of desire...

OK that is a reasonable use, you just  want one.    But the Rb units on
eBay are much more resent manufacture, better secs and well under $100.
 But no "HP" name plate and you must apply the DC power.  They score near
zero in "looks" as they are just the bare oscillator.

Look at this eBay number: 300719752578  It is a very good unit from a
seller many people know.  The specs are very good.

I bought one like this back when the price was $39 shipped. 300606871861
 Mine is preforming very well.  It provides a reference for a a few HP
Universal Counters.

But really if you are setting up a lab at home the first thing you should
buy is the Thunderbolt and a good antenna.  You will need one to calibrate
your Rubidium oscillators.   (yes "oscillators" with a pleural "s".  how
else to cross check them if you have only one?)

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California