[time-nuts] HP-5065a advise and purchase decision

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Jul 1 21:18:24 UTC 2012

Shhh, I was hoping he'd succeed in his apparent attempt to drive 5065A
prices down, so I can round up a few more for myself!

$78 is a great price for an LPRO-101, certainly, but you can't compare them
to the HP rubidiums.  The latter's specs (as well as its "secs") are vastly
better.

Edgardo, I don't know if you've seen the relative performance that can be
expected from various Rb standards, but if not, check out
http://www.ke5fx.com/rb.htm and N8UR's plots at
http://febo.com/pages/oscillators/rubes/ (which were taken with a 5065A as
the reference.)  This is why it's worth the effort to bring an HP 5065A back
from the dead, even if the cost is higher than an LPRO or PRS10.

The real problem with the 5065A is that it represents the end of the line
for most noncommercial users.  There are no further upgrade possibilities
for taus out to several hours -- not even the best commercial cesium
standards -- until you get into masers.

-- john, KE5FX
www.miles.io