[time-nuts] Is Timelab with a Prologix-Eth and a PM6680 - working ?

cfo xnews3 at luna.dyndns.dk
Wed Jul 4 15:06:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:33:33 -0700, John Miles wrote:

>> Ahhh ... Thanx now i know why my 1hr Trace Duration was so fast. I
>> assumed that Timelab would set the sampling interval written in Timelab
>> via GPIB. But i'll just select 1sec manually.
>
> That can be a bit confusing.  The TimeLab drivers for GPIB counters
> don't attempt to program the counter in any respect, beyond perhaps
> turning off continuous acquisition so that the program can fetch
> readings synchronously. The program may also disable various statistical
> features that are known to interfere with reading a stream of simple TI
> or frequency measurements.  But for the most part, TimeLab expects you
> to configure the counter manually, using whatever settings and
> parameters you want.  Then you have to fill in the acquisition dialog to
> tell the program what you're doing.
>
> This lazy approach violates the most commonly recommended GPIB
> programming practice, where the program begins by resetting the
> instrument to its default state and then programs all modes and settings
> of interest.  But it's the only way I can afford the time to support
> lots of different counter models, most of which I don't own. :)
>
> For counters in talk-only mode, the acquisition driver can't program the
> instrument at all, so the above is doubly true.
>
> In the specific case of the Trace Duration field, TimeLab will estimate
> the rate at which readings arrive from the counter if you press the
> "Monitor" button and wait a bit for the estimate to settle down.  If it
> doesn't seem to be converging on the right rate, try toggling the
> Monitor button off and on.  Otherwise, if you don't use the Monitor
> feature, you will have to enter the trigger rate manually.
>
>> I will try this now , and i assume i should then select Frequency in
>> the Data Type - In TimeLab , as i don't use A->B measurements .. Or ?
>
> Most TICs exhibit some dead time between GPIB readings in
> frequency-count mode.  For instance, if you use an HP 5370B in FREQ
> mode, you'll see something like 1.1 seconds between readings, instead of
> the 1-second gate time you may have selected at the counter's front
> panel.  Not the end of the world, but something to keep in mind when
> deciding whether you want to capture TI or frequency data.
>
> That being said, when I use my 5370B, I usually use frequency mode with
> a 1-second gate time.  It's quicker and much less error-prone to set up.
>  The quantization/jitter floor isn't that much worse than what a TI
> measurement can achieve, I don't have to worry about whether the START
> and STOP sources are stable and close enough in frequency to avoid
> undersampling phase wraps, and the resulting data quality is OK for many
> purposes.   This will be true for most other counters as well.  When you
> are first getting started with TimeLab, I'd recommend sticking with
> frequency readings until you're more familiar with the overall process.
> Once frequency readings are being collected and displayed properly, you
> [...]

Hi John Thanx for a nice program , and the detailed explanation.

Here is a graph of my Tbolt 10Mhz connected to Ext-Ref & Chan-A , on my
new PM6680. The 10Mhz is distributed via a 350Mhz RGB Video-Dist-amp
A Procon : 4516-01 , same as Solecis: AVB-DA-RGBHV-0106

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/tbolt8hfreq.png/

The result looks more like what i expected ....

"The Lady"  shows 5.43E-13 as ADEV on the Tbolt-Osc , so the above might
be what to expect.

Thanx to all that have contributed to my learning process :-)

CFO - T-Nut Beginner