[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a...

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Jul 8 10:50:42 UTC 2012

Hi

On Jul 8, 2012, at 1:17 AM, David J Taylor wrote:

> As an observer from across the pond:
>
> - presumably, the vast majority of users would not be affected.

Yes, the wall clock and wrist watch people (I use both) would not be impacted according to NIST. I have seen no reports of, and not observed any impact on my stuff.

> - is there a technical solution which would be compatible with both old and new methods?  Some alternative modulation scheme?

The whole format of the change has been under the guise of a government investment in a technology company. That's taken the whole debate about modulation formats out of the public eye. The goals of the new modulation scheme are a bit unclear, so it's difficult to evaluate alternatives. One would *assume* that the cost of silicon to demodulate the new format is a major part of the decision on the new approach. That said, yes there has to be another way to do this that does not nuke the old gear.

> - is there not a testing period, where results can be fed back as to the compatibility or otherwise of the new scheme?

There have been tests. There is no official / formal feedback mechanism for the tests. It's not totally clear what any of the testing results are. One would *guess* that they are testing a silicon implementation of their receiver in the field. One would also *guess* that nothing "important" is impacted by the modulation.

> - has there been any official response to your comments that the new scheme stops existing equipment working properly?

The response has been: Yes we know this breaks your stuff. They have put that in writing. There is a somewhat vague promise that a box that "translates" the new format to one the old gear can use could / would / might be developed. No idea at all what such a box would look like or cost. Also no idea how well it would perform.

> - can you involve your members of the legislature, or would the be either inappropriate or a waste of time?

Based on past experience - waste of time, even in an election year. The subject is to hard to understand and not enough voters are impacted.