[time-nuts] Phase modulation detection/NIST plan

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sun Jul 8 22:58:40 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

That's be the hard way, but yes, if the message BPSK coded is computable
and of a known format. If the message contained more than time, like solar
flux, it gets more complicated very rapidly.

A similar thing was done with the Equatorial system 30+ years ago. In that
case, each data bit was broken into something like 32 or 64 chips (I don't
remember). There were two maximally distant, orthogonal chip patterns,
representing 1 and 0. The incoming BPSK message went through a 0 or 180
degree switch, then the IF stages. The switch was driven from a local
(known pattern) chip generator, so that if everything was synced up the
narrow band IF would put out the 0 or 1 that had been encoded. BTW, this
trick vastly improved the system S/N becaust it narrowed the receiver IF
bandwidth many times.

If the chip pattern is not known (fixed) or computable (like a correct
TOD) things go to pot quickly.

Rather than building such a kludge, it would be easier to use the locked
clock in a newly designed receiver and phase compare that to your local
standard directly.

-John