[time-nuts] Temperature control/isolation of T-bolts...

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Thu Jul 12 15:47:41 UTC 2012

Time-Nutters--

Some years ago I ran some experiments trying to improve
on the temperature control of a circuit board with a reference
oscillator and other heat producing items on it.   I quickly
discovered that enclosing it in a small Styrofoam container
jacked the temperature up waaaay to high.    Eventually, I tried
putting it in a large picnic sized Styrofoam container.   This
worked much better.   The inside temperature did go up,
but not so much as to be a problem.   At some point the size
of the container provided enough heat loss so as not to
overheat the circuitry but also provided a lot of thermal
isolation from ambient room temperature changes.  I
monitored the inside temperature of the Styrofoam box
with an HP-Agilent precision lab-grade quartz thermometer
borrowed from the physics lab at the Univ of Flori-DUH.

Mike Baker