[time-nuts] WWVB and Free Democracies Survival

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Jul 15 12:28:42 UTC 2012

Hi

The *only* way for redundancy to do any good is for it to be designed into systems. That simply is not done. It was not done back when "everything" was on the air. It's not going to be done now (can't) or in the future (prediction). Why? It costs money, it did cost money, it will cost money. It's *not* because people don't / didn't know about the alternatives. Qualcomm was fielding Loran-C based timing long before viable GPS came along. It's also not because people like a single source of sync. It's an economic decision. There are lots of identical decisions made about all sorts of aspects of a complex system. There are *many* ways to take out a cell system….

Bob