[time-nuts] WWVB and Free Democracies Survival

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 16:34:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
> Rather than messing with WWVB, some LORAN-C should be put back on the air.
> It is essentially impossible to jam, unlike GPS or WWVB.
>
> I could easily see it with a small (1') loop and a 'scope.
>
> YMMV,
>
> -John
>
> ==================
>

>> Perry you mean like the 10' X 10' loop I put up?
>> It has about 800 ft of wire.
>> Brang the daytime signal fro 30 uv to an easy 60 +.
>> Compared to a 2.5 ft loop.
>> Yes higher power would be good.
>> Regards
>> paul
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> GM List,
>>>
>>> What has not been mentioned so far is national security needs of the
>>> democratic nations of the world for uninterrupted accurate
>>> time/frequency
>>> information that is not subject to interference or destruction by those
>>> nations diametrically opposed to personal freedom.
>>>
>>> The United States GPS system is an unparalleled success providing
>>> inexpensive time and frequency standards worldwide and it is relied on
>>> for
>>> innumerable critical tasks.
>>>
>>> But it requires using satellites.   They are subject to destruction or
>>> degradation from the ground over the sovereign territory by those rouge
>>> states that would be so inclined.  The ability to destroy a satellite
>>> from
>>> the earth has already ben demonstrated by one nation.  There are
>>> numerous
>>> reports of shall we say *Malicious Tinkering* on other satellites.
>>>
>>> Setting aside the enormous expense, technical difficulties such as the
>>> need for sophisticated and extremely limited amount of rocket launches
>>> available make the system unsustainable to GPS satellites continued
>>> destruction or degradation from a land based source.

If you are worried about the system surviving an attack, a Loran
system can be taken out by something as un-sophisticated as just one
car bomb.   One guy working along could do it.    Taking out a
satellite at 400 miles up is a MUCH harder problem.

Don't say people in the government don't think about this.  One
solution being worked is very small satellites.  What can yo pack in a
one cubic foot box?  What if you could launch 100 such boxes from a
solid fueled rocked based in a silo (like an ICBM that can be launched
on a VERY short count down)   Othr research ares are "mesh networks"
That might address the question of "what could you do with 100,000
iPhones in orbit.

If you are worried about security and jamming the solution is NOT a
powerful, wide area broadcast.  No you use a great number of tiny
overlapping cells combined with spread spectrum and strong encryption
and you control it with a some kind of self organizing mesh network,
not a top-down control system.   What this does is mimic nature.
Think about rats and cockroaches

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California