[time-nuts] 5MHz ocxo- Opening Solder sealed cans

Paul Flinders paul at flinders.org
Fri Jul 27 07:30:19 UTC 2012

Ron Ward sayeth:
> Hi:
> I have been looking at the poor quality solder joints on the oscillator.
> If you have a steady hand and a small tipped soldering with silver
> baring (about 2% silver) solder, I would re-solder the connections. Many
> of them do not look properly "wetted" and cold. Some of the heat from
> removing the top may have re-soldered a problem connection.

I wondered whether that was possible but I don't think the inside got
anywhere near reflow temperatures - the only heat damage was that bit of
SRBP like stuff and the foam behind that looked much the same as
everywhere else. It probably did get above 100deg C for a while.

I'll give it a thorough clean and have a close look at all the joints
and SMT components when I have chance.