[time-nuts] Different or defective FE-5680A?

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 9 06:22:47 UTC 2012

A few years ago I bought an FE-5680A that had only a 1 PPS output - no
10 MHz.  The part number is the same format as yours.  It came on a
Motorola circuit board (not cutoff).  It is programmable over a wide
frequency range (typically < 100 Hz to 15-20 MHz), but you have to bring
out the signal yourself, make a couple of internal mods and change the
frequency from it's default of 8.388608 MHz.  As soon as you do this,
the 1 PPS is no longer 1 PPS.  It doesn't require 5V, only 15V.  It also
has the lock on pin 3.  You may have the same unit.  If so, you probably
got a good deal since the programmable unit is typically more expensive
than the 10 MHz only version.  Of course, the prices of these things
have been all over the map lately.

Ed