[time-nuts] Quadrifilar Helix Antenna

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Jun 9 22:03:34 UTC 2012

On 9 June 2012 15:53, Azelio Boriani <azelio.boriani at screen.it> wrote:
> Of course one of the most challenging part of the EM simulators is
> preparing the correct model of the structure you want to simulate.

Agreed.

> Unfortunately (for me) I'm mostly a try-it guy rather than simulate-it so I
> prefer to build and try with test equipment. My first QFH was too high in
> frequency (GLONASS-ready?) so I have to build another one.

But there are obvious advantages to being able to model something
first, especially in a case like this, where there is nothing I see to
indicate this is optimised in any way. So it might be possible to
improve on it. Experimentially determing if something is on frequency,
and if not making another is not that hard, but knowing how various
changes might affect the radiation pattern is less easy to predict.

If you can accurately model the one you built, you might get some idea
about other changes that could be made. I doubt the EM simulation
tools will get the frequency spot on, but I find they give me insight
into the problem.

At this very minute I'm running a simulation of a 7 turn axial model
helix antenna with a view to determine if the use of steel would give
significantly poorer performance than copper. You would probably have
a hard-time measuring the differences, and its a lot cheaper to just
re-run a simulation than to build two of them and measure them.

Dave