[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 02:34:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> HOWEVER, your scheme is going to be tricky to pass muster with the
> National Electrical Code.  Two aspects need attention:
>  You need to have a ground wire from the mast to the ground point
> and
>  You need to have some form of ground of the coax shield at the point
> where the coax enters the building.  (a "listed antenna discharge unit" is
> the usual way).

Yes, all true.   I didn't really want to right a book about it.  Yes there
is flashing around the pipe.  It is handled the same is for other pipes
that come up through the rook to vent plumping.   And yes you ground the
pipe just like you ground an old off-the-air TV antenna mast and so on.
My VHF (two and four meter) antenna and by HF wire antenna all have
lightening arasters and big ground rod systems, and the ground rods are
tried together an.

But you know what?  If you simply place an automotive "puck" type GPS
antenna on your roof you have to do the same thing.  It must be grounded
the same way, same lightening protection and so on.   So in the end you may
as well put up a professional looking and permanent  steel mast.  It is not
that much more work.

> Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California