[time-nuts] Sidereal time

Ken Duffill k.duffill at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 16 10:25:05 UTC 2012

Ok so you really are NOT needing the EOP Data that deals with the
irregularities of the Earth Rotation.
In fact it sounds to me like you are not really looking for Sidereal
time at all. Sidereal Time is not a uniform time scale and so sounds
like it is inappropriate for your needs.

If you get a source of Sidereal Time, from somewhere that claims to be
able to give it to you to microsecond accuracy, there is a high
probability that they will be taking things like nutation into account.
Certainly if you use the SOFA routines I alluded to earlier they will.

Again it sounds to me like what you are really looking for is an
independent source of uniform time based on the PPS produced by the
divider in the chip TVB will get for you, which is then very close to
the MEAN sidereal second.

The way Astronomers used to do it, they would have clocks regulated to
the mean Sidereal Second, but have to recalibrate them every day
(actually every night!). And they were not interested to the
microsecond. It was the search for that level of accuracy that forced
them to move away from this non-uniform timescale and produced the
ICRF/ICRS and ITRF/ITRS that they now use.

HTH

Ken