[time-nuts] Power glitch

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 08:03:28 UTC 2012

david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk said:
> Does the glitch mean you had a 16-second outage or what?  I'm not clear.

Yes.

For the previous year or so, my local power has been very good.  I've seen
occasional off-by-one counts in both directions but nothing more interesting
than that.

I haven't tracked single-cycle steps down to either the raw power or my
collection setup.  Here are examples:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/60Hz/60Hz-2012-Jan-17-a-drop.p
ng
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/60Hz/60Hz-2012-Jan-26-a-pick.p
ng
Note that the vertical scale is cycles rather than seconds.

I also see occasional cases where it looks like a generator is dropping off
line and it takes a while for the rest of the system to catch up:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/60Hz/60Hz-2012-Mar-30-a-dip.pn

One of these days, I'll capture the audio.

> BTW: although the URLs have a .PNG file extension, the images come across
> in
>  .GIF format.  Are you converting on-the-fly?

Thanks for the heads-up.  It was just a fatfinger.  They should be fixed
now.

--
=======================================

Thanks for that, Hal.  I would set up some monitoring myself except that I
don't have a UPS so even a 16-second outage would not be recorded.  Could
use a portable PC, I suppose...  We have perhaps one outage every two years
on average, and they last for at least 30 minutes, so I might need a
generator as well as a UPS!  Not worth it - I don't mind being dragged away
from the desk for a while - might catch up with read a magazine or two.

Fascinating plots - thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu