[time-nuts] HP-5065a advise and purchase decision

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Sat Jun 30 16:08:20 UTC 2012

hi Edgardo,

The best one in that price range is probably the PRS-10 from SRS. New it's about $1500, sometimes they go used for $500 if you can find one they are very desirable. Can be locked to an external GPS, a huge plus. Their tube is designed for 20+ years lifetime.

Has excellent ADEV and phase noise.

As an external Gps consider a Motorola/iLotus M12M receiver. That combo is a professional level system, and with a bit of tinkering you can even implement sawtooth correction as described in the time nuts archives.

Total cost used: under $700 with power supplies and enclosure.. But may require some patience and research to find one.

Don't touch the cesium beam units unless you can get a guarantee and someone can tell you how much cesium remains in them, most of them have depleted tubes that cannot be refilled and cost more than a small car to replace with a new one.

Bye,
Said

Sent from my iPad