[time-nuts] Loran transmitters back on the air.

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Mar 2 02:25:14 UTC 2012

Bob wrote:

>The obvious advantage to backwards compatibility would be much
>greater coverage area. It is a bit tough to envision them getting a
>reasonable user population with a 100% from scratch approach. Indeed
>that may be wishful thinking.

Well, if they get no revenue from legacy users, how does the
increased user base benefit them (and, thus, why would they
care)?  The only path I see is, "Get 'em hooked using their old
receivers, and they will need new receivers to replace them as they
decide they can't live without the enhancements or as their old
receivers die."  But any number of users might decide that the legacy
capabilities were sufficient.  Indeed, other manufacturers might
start producing new legacy receivers without having to pay to license
any of the enhanced technology, and spoil the market for enhanced receivers.

All speculation, of course, but it seems at least facially plausible
to me.  Maybe it depends on what is enhanced, and by how much.

Best regards,

Charles